Friday, January 30, 2009

Enough isn't enough

I watch my peers walk about the campus and wonder, "Why can't enough be enough?" Everywhere one looks, there are designer labels, flashy trappings, and, best of all, complaints about the inconveniences of life. I often feel a stranger as I refuse to sympathise with someone having a "bad day" for trivial reasons.

Why can't enough be enough?

There must be a lack of perspective. I cannot think of another reason why it isn't good enough to have clothing, a place to live, a car that runs, food, running water, electricity, good health, a college education, freedom of speech, people who love us, and, if you know Him, the chance to talk to God every day. I suppose we're all entitled to those things. I guess I have to get it through my head that these things are human rights, not privileges.

Demand convenience. Demand that your waiter/waitress be obsequious as possible. Don't dare buy a used car. Don't dare walk to school. Don't dare walk anywhere when it's cold outside. Don't dare make a lunch and carry a lunchbox when you can just buy food where you're going. Demand that someone else think for you, and demand that it be in high definition. Don't dare go without comfort or ostentatious indulgence. Life isn't worth living if you have to sacrifice.

I pray that I am merely misreading the prevailing attitude of this society.

Why can't enough be enough?

Welcome to my head. Enjoy your stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment