Friday, January 30, 2009

Theonymic

Theos - God
-onyma - Name

It follows the form of the term "patronymic," which means "derived from a father's name" (i. e. Johnson, Thompson, or as in Slavic cultures, the formation of the middle name by adding a gender-specific suffix to the father's name (I do not claim to be incredibly knowledgeable in this area, but I have read Dostoyevsky)). Thus "Theonymic" can be seen to mean "named after God" or "derived from God's name." It can be seen in the sense that "Christian" means "Christ-follower" or "little Christ." Hence, one's new name is derived from the term "Christ." Revelation is also clear that upon Jesus' return to earth, each believer shall receive a new name, known only to him and God. One may see it either way, or both.

It is the name I have decided to give to one of my musical projects. Some semblance of an idea of what is to come may be found at www.myspace.com/desertoak. However, only the song "Mirage" is projected to make it onto a Theonymic release (whenever one of these might occur) because it is most in line with the sound that pervades the other material I have composed for Theonymic and simply not recorded yet. "Cesspool" will probably be used in the project I was recently invited into known as "Faith and Faith Alone," which will be mostly a hybrid of old school death and thrash metal. Theonymic is projected to follow the thrash/fusion sound of "Mirage," though there will be much more development of each aspect of this sound in other songs.

Theonymic began mostly as a "progressive death metal" project known as "Desert Oak." I believe there may be a few out there who possess early recordings from this; if you are one of them, keep them to yourself, I prithee.

I will, of course, be composing all lyrics for Theonymic. In the coming days I will hopefully get a chance to post rough drafts I have of these. I see it as my calling to observe the inner thoughts and their relation to our approaches to ourselves, the events in our lives, others, and God, and this will become evident as I share what I come up with.

I would like to take this time to remind all readers that if you need prayer for anything, do not hesitate to email or message me.

No comments:

Post a Comment