Friday, February 13, 2009

Accepted

I received an email today informing me that the graduate mathematics department at Bowling Green State University has granted me admission into their program. Needless to say, I am beyond excitement. The program is solid, and I have another reason for wanting to be at that particular school; namely, the fact that I will be very close to another Vikarbyrgi member, Ethan Boyd. If the graduate school (different from the graduate department) accepts me, then I can move up there and there can be a lot more collaboration on Vikarbyrgi's material (as well as material for other coneptualised projects and possibly even some that aren't even a thought yet).

I was disheartened when I received the rejection email from the University of Washington. I could, of course, go on all day about how it's a small program but in very demand, etc, but I believe the underlying thing to realise is this: it's not where God wants me.

Is Bowling Green where God wants me? I don't know at this point, as I am still waiting on a few more schools to inform me of their decisions. I am, however, very excited at the possibilities I now have. To be honest, I wouldn't mind that much if the University of Texas gives me a better deal, given that I dearly miss Austin, and everything it has that Lubbock does not. I have some good friends here, but I still would not pass up an opportunity to go somewhere else with more potential for growth and for using my talents to glorify God.

One thing I am also waiting anxiously for, now, is knowing whether or not I will get a teaching assistantship. This will be a massive financial help during graduate school, if I get it.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your acceptance. Good luck in the program!

    ReplyDelete