Monday, February 2, 2009

Vikarbyrgi


Vikarbyrgi is the name of one of my musical projects. It is named after a ghost town in the Faroe Islands. More information can, of course, be found on good ol' Wikipedia. The town was only recently abandoned, suddenly, and for reasons that few know or can guess. The project was originally named by Ethan Boyd, being its creator, mostly for the related nature imagery. To me, however, the name has taken on a new meaning, that being the flight that we who surrender to Christ are to make from our old way of living; suddenly, inexplicably.

We hope to have a five-song demo recorded by the end of the semester, but at the rate things are going, we can't make any guarantees. The plan is to entitle it "Concealed Hour." A (rather) rough demo song can be found at www.myspace.com/vikarbyrgi. I am only performing vocals on that one, but I have since been composing much of the guitar and lyrics and even some of the keyboard.

The style of the first full release will mostly be folk-influenced black metal with a decent helping of thrash influence as well. We hope to record the first release, Avaricious Eternal Dusk, in June. The material after that will be significantly more experimental, both in tonality and in song structure, less thrashy, and more grandiose at times.

We hope to get a slot at Cornerstone Festival this year as well. And once again, I will be sharing some lyrical ideas on here in the near future. I think that even those who won't be listening to Vikarbyrgi ought to be let in on what God has shown me.

1 comment:

  1. Scoooooooooott.
    You might be playing Cornerstone? Dude. I might go. I will watch you, if I do.
    Also stop sounding so smartical in your blags. You're making me look bad.

    ReplyDelete