Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Voice

The concept of voice is fascinating. It's unique. It's multidimensional. There are many ways to manipulate one's voice: tone, inflection, pitch, type. And even when these are matching between people, there is something underneath that still distinguishes the two, more so to the familiar ear. There are even differences in the male and female voice, to those who listen closely...it is possible, in almost all cases, to tell when a man or woman is speaking or singing, even if the pitch is shifted higher or lower. I at least find it funny when a woman says she "sounds like a man" just because a cold has her at the bottom of her register.

Then there is also the idea of voice within other forms of communication. Visual art, music, literature, reporting, debate...everyone has their own style. And in the same way that multiple people can recognise and mimic each others' uses of voice (in the sense of speaking) as they have more contact, their voices within composition may also converge as they continue to work together. Vikarbyrgi will prove to be such an instance; Ethan and I are slowly creating material that sounds more and more similar to something that the other would compose, thus allowing for much more ease of collaboration.

Stepping into the spiritual realm for a second...Jesus says that "my sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." As one has more contact with Christ, it is easier to distinguish His voice from that of an imposter.

Unfortunately I have no moral or clever tie-off for this weblog. I haven't done this in a while, so perhaps I'm a little rusty. I'll explain in my next blog where I've been...until then, God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment